Saturday, July 2, 2022

Day 25 - Alba to Ales

We had 3 POIs, I think I said 2 in my last post but more of those shortly.

There was no breakfast option with the hotel, so we were away early. It was chilly, 13 degrees. I put my heated grips on.That makes me a f*****g wus apparently. I had nice warm hands though, until the temperature rose.

Due to yesterday's shenanigans, Grizzly was out of sync with our fuel stops.  He wouldn't have had enough to reach the next scheduled stop, so I found one only 6 miles away. Refuelling done, we had to find ourselves a brekkie stop, which we did, with a tiny 'supermarket' out in the sticks. Some pain au chocolat did the trick. 

The early ride had been a mixture of roads  with some twisty stuff again. On one particular right hander, the sun was right in my face. Even with my sun shield down I was blinded. Just as well nothing was coming the other way.

Our first stop after our breakfast, was at some lavender fields. This region is famous for their production of lavender products and the fields stretch for miles. I had picked a spot on streetview that looked good. Sod's law  the bloody field was empty! Further on there was other fields with row upon row of lavender plants. Quite spectacular to see and they draw a huge number of sightseers. Quite amazing.

To get back in sync with our scheduled fuel stops, I suggested we stop again. We popped into another supermarket for some water, then filled the bikes. By now the temperature was around 29!

With more fuel taken on, we headed for our 2nd POI, at a place called Avignon. Give yourself a pat on the back if you guessed it was the bridge. 

A conversation went someting like this. "What are we here for? To visit the bridge in the song. What song? Sur le pont d'avignon. Never heard of it, who sung it? What?, it's a bloody childrens song, the French sing. Never heard of it. It is famous all over the world but not in Cork or Portlaoise apparently. I'll have to google it." I kid you not people.

I'd been told by Avignon tourism that we could park the bikes at the nearby car park. Barriers with no room to squeeze by and requesting a card. No indication of cost for bikes, so we turned round. By the bridge is an area that was once parking spaces, closed off with big stone blocks but with gaps big enough for us to get through. We parked there  ignoring the 'will be towed away' signs. By the time we had done the bridge, there were 4 other bikes parked with us.

I'd already bought our concessionary tickets online. It said you'd need proof of eligibility. They just scanned it and in we went and onto the bridge.

Of course, it's not really a bridge as such,  as it doesn't go all the way across the river. The river  incidentally,  is the Rhone, the longest in France.

More like a pier.

Some Americans heard me singing the song and asked if I would take a photo of them. I obliged. Then they wanted a video, whilst they sang and danced, sur le pont d'avignon! Hmm 🤔

Our final POI, was the Pont du Gard roman bridge. Built as part of the Nimes aquaduct in the first century AD, it was in use for 400 years. It is a huge structure and another fine example of Roman technological architecture.

It attracts a huge crowd, as much for the river on a scorching day like today, as for the structure itself.

It costs to park and also for the museum but if you just want to see the bridge, then it's only the parking you pay for. Take a ticket at the barrier, pay before you leave, you know how it works.

So, on leaving, I insert the ticket at the barrier. Grizzly is alongside me. The ticket pops out, I take it and the barrier raises. As I tuck the ticket in my pocket, Grizzly  like shit off a shiny shovel shoots away. If only he was that fast out on the road, at junctions or roundabouts for example! Before I have time to move, the barrier comes down. I'm stuck. I can't move back because of a speed hump and inserting the ticket again has no effect. I press the buzzer. I explain the barrier has come down before I  had chance to go through. A bloke says he doesn't understand. I explain again. After several minutes and a queue gathering behind me, the barrier raises and we can continue on our way to Ales.

It's an IBIS hotel, no restaurant, so we decided on another fast food night, after some beers  of course. McDonalds it was, with another beer chaser. 

Tomorrow we head for Bort-les-Orgues but not before a  McDs brekkie. IBIS want €10.50 for theirs.

There are just 5 more sleeps of the tour left.


No comments:

Post a Comment